Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 Review

On this day last year, I was celebrating the fact that it had been four days since I had been puked on by my very new little baby. I was lamenting the fact that I felt more like a walking milk truck than a human being, and that getting out of the house daily with a newborn and 2 year old all in our winter gear was quite the challenge.

This year with both Terry and I working, our new challenges are getting out the door on time in the morning and making it through supper and bath time without collapsing from exhaustion.

2011 was a complete whirlwind. Craziness. I don't know how we even managed to make it through the year in one piece actually. In the spring we put our house up for sale. I would recommend to anyone just to win the lottery, buy your dream home, hire packers and movers and decorators, move in without lifting a finger, and then sell your old home when you are all moved out. If you are not a millionaire, that sucks. Because moving with two small children is the worst. Moving in general is the worst. I would like to say that I will never move again, but I am sure our needs will change as the boys get older and I will be complaining about how hard it is to keep my house clean in order to sell it when there are two very messy teenage boys around.
We are very happy in our new home, especially now that the basement is finished and the boys have a space to run around and play and we have a space to relax and watch movies.

In May I returned to work part time at a new and very exciting job. I had mixed feelings about returning to work when Eli was only 5 months old, but it was so worth it.

Starting in September, Terry went off work for the last 3 months of my maternity leave to stay home with the boys and I went up to full time at work. This was so great for many reasons. Most importantly that I got to leave the house in the mornings by myself knowing the boys were going to have a lot of fun with their Dad while I was at work. There were lots of days when I would come home to find everyone still in their pyjamas. I guess when you are too busy playing Play Doh, trucks, dinosaurs and Transformers, there is no time to get dressed. Terry and I tend to run our respective ships a little differently when we are home without the other, but I think it was great for the boys and for Terry to have this time together. Lucas still tells me he wants me to go to work so he can stay home with Eli and Daddy. Thanks Lucas, love you too.

This fall I took up the task of petitioning the city to install a better play structure in our neighborhood park. I am very proud to say that I have word from the city that there will be another play structure added, with construction starting in the spring. SUCCESS. I'll believe it when I see it. It had better not be a giant dragonfly shaped piece of junk to match the giant praying mantis piece of junk that is already there. I was assured that the community association will be consulted as to what kind of play equipment will be added to the park and you can bet that I will be at that meeting with bells on. BELLS.

2011 was also a really sad year for our family. My Grandpa Stevens passed away in July and my cousin Kory passed away very unexpectedly in October. I know we are all still grieving.

The last few months of the year will always be crazy busy in our house. We celebrated two birthdays leading up to the holidays, and hosted the Fusco's for Christmas. I got to spend some time with my beautiful niece Ottavia, and Lucas and Eli loved having Grandma Jackie and Grandpa John stay at their house. I think Lucas and Ottavia really hit it off. Lucas told me the other day that he loves his little brother Eli, and now he wants a little sister "like Ottavia". OK Lucas, I'll see what I can do. You might have to wait a while for that one. Hosting Christmas was so fun, spending late nights playing Scattergories (I am pretty sure my father in law John won for best answers....) and visiting with everyone.

Terry and I rang in the New Year watching the World Juniors on the couch and having our usual conversation about what 2012 will bring. My hopes for 2012 are that things will slow down a little bit around here (is that asking too much?!?!?), so we can relax and enjoy. Not too much planned for this year and definitely no resolutions. I conquered all of my resolutions last year so I figure I am good for at least another year. Maybe just one resolution to get Eli's baby book done. You guys, Lucas can start kinder-soccer this summer and I can barely contain my excitement. One of the many, many things to look forward to in 2012.


1 comment:

  1. Great post! It's crazy, looking back, to think of everything that can change in a year. I'm glad we got to share some time together in there!

    ReplyDelete