Saturday, July 16, 2011

Grandpa Stevens


My Grandpa passed away yesterday. He would have been 92 this August.


Grandpa was a great guy and will be truly missed. I have fond memories growing up of going out to Harris, SK to Grandma and Grandpa Stevens house. If you were lucky, Grandpa would take you for a ride on his riding lawnmower, or take you for an evening drive through the sand hills to see all of the white-tailed deer. He loved his grandchildren, and I am fortunate that he got to meet Lucas and Eli.

He was a smart, well-spoken gentleman. He would have loved to attend university but never had the opportunity to do so, having to stay at home and work on the farm. Grandpa was always happy to hear about our achievements at school, and encouraged us all to further our education.

Grandpa was elected MLA of Rosetown and served from 1960-1964. He sided with the NDP, and many times when I have been unsure of who to vote for, I have voted NDP just for Grandpa.

I went up to the hospital the day before he passed away, not knowing how soon he would be gone. He was no longer the strong, sharp guy I knew. I held his hand and told him how much we all loved him and how proud of him we are. I told him that he should be so proud of his family and all of his grandchildren. He wasn't able to speak to me, but he squeezed my hand and wiped a tear from his eye. Something that I will always remember.

In the days to come, I am looking forward to hearing many stories about my Grandpa from my aunts, uncles and relatives. He did a lot for his community and his family, and should be very proud of the life he lived.

3 comments:

  1. Aww ... so sorry to hear about your gramps. He sounded like a real top-notch guy. Hope you find comfort in all the wonderful memories you have of him! Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a super man!! He always contributed to the conversation and often he presented himself as the devil's advocate. We loved him dearly. Whenever we went home to Harris, we always made sure we stopped to talk to Uncle Allan. He loved calling me the "school marm." He was a very community-minded person and did more than was expected out of any person. I loved him dearly and he loved me!! Goodbye sweet Uncle Allan.

    Karen (Stevens) Hrycan

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Doug & Lorna Stevens.
    Uncle Allan will always be remembered by me growing up in Harris, SK. One fond memory was when I asked him to speak at our wedding and he did not hesitate to do so. Lorna's family was good friends of Darryl Heald, fo former Sask MLA as well and both of them spoke at our wedding. Mr. Heald was a Liberal member of the legislature and all politics asside both Uncle Allan and Mr. Heald made our wedding day a very special event. Both of them truly fine gentlemen and a special part of our wedding. We will remember this forever. Rest in Peace Uncle Allan along with Aunt Emily.

    ReplyDelete