Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Defiance


I think the terrible twos have hit us a little late. I thought we avoided them somehow. But no, Lucas has figured out how to be defiant at exactly the perfect moment. In public.

I enrolled Lucas in gymnastics, his first unparented activity. The first two classes we attended, I watched from the sidelines as Lucas sat attentively and listened to the teacher and actively participated in class. I was so proud of him, and felt sorry for the mom and dad who could not for the life of them keep their child involved in class. Then I became that mom that all of the other parents are silently judging. I'm not sure what happened in the last two classes, but all of a sudden Lucas has just up and refused to do what he is supposed to. Last week I chocked it up to being tired and grumpy from not having a nap that day. But today there was no such excuse. It is incredibly frustrating this defiance thing, and I tried multiple approaches today with no success. A friend of mine blogged about a book that helped her ("Honey I Wrecked the Kids") that I just might have to pick up for myself.

My favourite act of defiance so far is the going limp strategy. Taking Lucas up to the line to go do a somersault and all of a sudden he has no bones or muscles in his body to hold him up. UGGGGHHH. And then he gives me the look. The "You can't make me do anything look". All I am thinking at this moment is "DO AN F-ING SOMERSAULT KID SO I CAN GO SIT BACK DOWN. NOW." Somersaults. These are the stresses in my life right now. Trivial.

Lucas has been a wonder-child. We have had it really easy with him and I know that. So hopefully this is a minor blip and we can continue on thinking we are the best parents ever. Ha.

I know already Eli is going to give us a run for our money, and we are not prepared. I might actually have to baby proof this time. The kid makes a mad dash for the stairs the moment the baby gate is removed. For a second I think we are having a nice bonding moment as I hold him and gaze into his big brown eyes, until he sees something he is interested in over my shoulder, at which point he starts clawing at my face trying to get me to move out of the way so he can get to the thing he is absolutely not supposed to have. Nightlights and computer cords mostly.

Playground update: 24 signatures to go!! I meet with the community association next week to get their support and after that it is city council. Stay tuned.....I know you are all on the edge of your seats.

4 comments:

  1. Ahaha ... welcome to the dark side of the terrible two's. I've heard it just rolls into the terrible 3's and terrible 4's ... sigh. Julie also does the noodle arms & legs trick when I'm trying to get her to do a somersault. Good times. And, let me know if you need baby proofing tips. Been there, done that ... BIG TIME :) Wesley's going to be an angel once he starts crawling, I can just feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you know 3 is the new 2? So Lucas is just advanced....hitting this lovely time a little early. Stay strong my friend, I am hoping when Taylor turns 4 we will get along again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can join my 2 support group. It's just me, so any company would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to join your 2 support group Cristin! And by the sounds of it I may just need a 3 and 4 support group as well. Thanks for the comments friends!

    ReplyDelete