Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Boys


A lot of my close friends know that I have had a girl's baby name picked out since before I even thought about getting pregnant. No boy's name came to mind, only a girl's name. For some reason I dreamed about having a little baby girl, shopping for cute little stylish outfits and playing dolls and dress up all day.

When I was pregnant with Lucas, Terry and I decided to find out the sex of our baby via ultrasound. At our first ultrasound the radiologist said that they couldn't tell very well, but that the baby looked like a girl. He advised us not to paint our walls pink since he wasn't 100% sure, but from what he could tell the baby looked like a girl.

Wrong, dude.

So what did I do? I could not help but purchase a few of the cutest little girl outfits that I had walked by so many times. I psyched myself up that we were having a girl, even though I knew it wasn't for sure.

Next ultrasound came and the technician told us that we were definitely having a boy and this time she is %100 sure. Terry and I both got in the car afterwards and said "A boy???? Huh???" WE WERE NOT AT ALL DISAPPOINTED......it was just that we did not know what to do with this information. I programmed my brain into thinking that I was having a girl, and I could not process that there was a little boy in there. An amazing, wonderful, perfect little boy.

When we found out we were pregnant with Eli, we decided not to find out the sex of the baby. Because you know what, it just didn't matter. We (of course) absolutely fell in love with Lucas, and fell in love with playing trucks and dinosaurs and everything that comes along with little boys.

I think some people assume that because I had my girl name picked out, that I am somehow disappointed with two little boys, or that I will always long for a girl. Just recently I got asked if we were going to have a third child and "try for a girl". I don't feel done with two, and I'm sure we will probably go for three, although definitely not for a few years at least!!! If we do decide to try and have another baby, it will not be because the first two times around I didn't get what I wanted. It will be because I feel like three is the right number for us. Whether that is three little boys or two boys and a girl, it just won't matter.

This brings to mind a blog by a friend of mine on creating the "perfect family". You have no idea what your "perfect family" is going to be, and it may be entirely different from what you had planned. I know now that I was meant to be a mom of these two wonderful boys. And I wouldn't trade this life for all of the girls in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Amber.....I love this. I couildn''t have said it better no matter how hard I try....or have tried. This literally made me cry!! Could be the pregnancy hormones...well I am sure that they help a little, but this is what I have been trying to tell people since my boys were born. Yes I wanted a girl, but no I dont wish they were girls...and this third baby...I will love it no matter what the sex is, although for some reason people imply that because I have 2 boys that OBVIOUSLY I want this one to be a girl....you put what I couldnt into beautiful words!
    Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete